Building Division

Ayla Jefferson, CBO, Building Official
Building Division Counter Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Plan Check Counter Hours: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm



The Building Division provides plan review and construction inspection services to enforce minimum safety standards by regulating and controlling design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, as well as location and maintenance of all buildings and structures. Building helps streamline the permit process by providing contractors and homeowners with an easy, step-by-step guide for completing the process. On large-scale projects, pre-construction coordination meetings are held with project managers and City staff who play a role in the construction process to help ensure a smooth running project. 


  • To request a building inspection, call 626-570-3240. Requests must be made between 8:00 am and 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and at least one day in advance.
  • Inspectors' office hours are from 8:00 am to 9:00 am, and 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm
  • Inspections are conducted from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
  • Call the Building Division at 626-570-5034 on the day of your inspection to find out the time frame of your inspection. Schedules for inspections will be available after 8:30 am, Monday through Friday.


Building plans and permits are required for most residential, commercial, and industrial construction work on private property, whether new, added, remodeled, or altered. To determine if your project needs a permit, call 626-570-5034.

Permits are required for the following types of work:

  • BUILDING CONSTRUCTION/REMODELING New structures and room additions, exterior stucco, interior remodeling, roofing, structural repairs, pools and spas, enclosure of a patio, replacement of windows, and any structural work
  • ELECTRICAL Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair of electrical wiring
  • MECHANICAL Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment and duct work, and miscellaneous heating appliances
  • PLUMBING Piping, re-piping, new or replacement fixtures and devices, and swimming pool equipment
  • Expedited Solar Photovoltaic Permitting for One and Two Family Dwellings application
  • Electric Vehicle Charger and Service Equipment checklist


  • Contractor's Reports are required from any construction company performing work in Alhambra to verify that each subcontractor has a valid business license for the construction period, and that the current amount was paid for the business license tax bracket in which it falls.
  • The Finance Department 626-570-5021 handles the receipt of the Contractor's Report by the general contractor or owner-builder. The report should list all subcontractors hired for a particular construction site.
  • The verification process takes approximately two weeks to be completed and is required prior to finalizing a building permit.
  • If all subcontractors are licensed and no payment adjustment is needed, Building/Planning is notified. If subcontractors are not licensed or a payment adjustment is needed, the general contractor has the option to instruct the subcontractor to pay or pay for the subcontractors. 


  • Section 7031.5 California Business and Professional Code states that only properly licensed individuals or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provisions of the Contractors State License Law shall be allowed to pull a permit for work regulated by code.
  • Owners who obtain construction permits must perform the work in a safe and professional manner, and must provide worker's compensation insurance for relatives and others working on the project even if they are not being paid. Worker's compensation requirements do not apply to the property owners living on the property and immediate family members who also live on the property. For more information on owner-builder risks and responsibilities, please visit

Related Information:

Blue Recycle Bin



The blue container for recyclable items is for disposing glass jars and bottles, plastic jars and bottles, metal and aluminum cans, and all clean paper. View a list of items you can and can't recycle. Do not place clothes in your recycling cart or leave large bags of clothes on the curb as Republic Services will not pick them up. Take them to a charity or Goodwill collection site. (Download a list of items accepted/not accepted by Goodwill).  Local donation centers include:

  • The Salvation Army, 1010 East Main Street, Alhambra, call 626-281-2100 or 1-800-SA-TRUCK
  • Vietnam Veterans of America, call 1-800-775-VETS or 1-800-775-8387
  • Goodwill Pasadena Donation Center, 112 East California Boulevard, Pasadena, call 626-449-3721

95-96 GALLON CONTAINER: 180 lbs; H 46-3/8 x W 25-1/4 x D 26-3/8

65-65 GALLON CONTAINER: 90 lbs; H 42-1/8 x W 25-1/4 x D 26-3/8 

32 GALLON CONTAINER: 50 lbs; H 38-1/2 x W 19 x D 22-1/4

 Permits, Licenses, & Applications

No items found.

More Resources

No items found.

Subscribe to Receive Meeting Information