Dog License Requirements
To purchase a new dog license or renew an existing dog license
Contact the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care & Control
11258 South Garfield Avenue
Downey, CA 90242
(The Alhambra Finance Department no longer accepts payments for animal licenses.)
What you need to know about licensing your dog
- All dogs over four months old must be permitted and have a metal tag (Alhambra Municipal Code § 7.20.020).
- The L.A. County Department of Animal Care & Control website allows you to use a credit/debit card to renew a dog license or pay for a renewal license online.
- Dog license fee: - Non-spayed or non-neutered animal - $60 per year - Certificate of Sterilization - $20 per year- Senior citizens - $7.50 per year; this fee will be reimbursed upon approval by the City when the resident brings proof of payment (as well as the dog's proof of sterilization) to the Finance Department.
- A $40 penalty fee is charged for failure to license a dog when the license lapses beyond the annual expiration date or the pet was not previously licensed.
- Proof of the dog’s current rabies vaccination certificate and proper renewal paperwork from the County is required.