Animal Control

Top Links
Building Division Counter Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Plan Check counter hours: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (Effective October 31, 2019, our new business hours will be 7:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday - Thursday, Closed on Fridays. New Plan Checker counter hours will be 7:00 am to 12:00 pm, Monday - Thursday)

Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care & Control webpage

Office Location

11258 South Garfield Avenue
Downey, CA 90242
Phone: 562-940-6898


Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care & Control:
Monday – Thursday 12:00 pm - 7:00 pm; Friday and Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm; Closed Sunday and Holidays
This shelter provides 24-hour, seven-day-a-week animal services. 


North - South: Exit the Long Beach Freeway at Imperial Highway;
Shelter is located on Garfield Avenue, one block South of Imperial, East of the Long Beach Freeway.

East - West: Exit the Glen Anderson Freeway (105) at Garfield, then go North on Garfield to the shelter.


  • Shelter stray dogs, cats and other animals, including livestock.
  • Enforce the leash law that forbids dogs from running at large.
  • Remove dead animals.
  • Investigate cases of suspected animal abuse and neglect and the impoundment of animals seized in such cases.
  • Assist local law enforcement agencies in raids to end illegal dog and cock-fighting activities.
  • Impound dangerous or vicious dogs and coordinate hearings on their disposition.
  • Respond to special animal control problems caused by natural disasters, such as fires, floods and earthquakes. The Department has a mobile field command post that can travel to the command center of a disaster area and operate as the on-site communications and control headquarters for animal-related rescue work.
  • Relocate and return to nature, when possible, wild animals that migrate into urban areas. The Department works with the California Department of Fish and Game and the County Department of Agriculture in dealing with predator animals such as mountain lions and coyotes.
  • Investigate complaints relating to excessive animal noise, including barking dogs and crowing fowl.
  • Inspect and license pet shops, animal boarding kennels, pet grooming parlors, wild animal compounds and exhibitions as well as guard dog firms and guard dogs owned by individual businesses.
  • License dogs in accordance with California Health and Safety Code Sec. 1920 and registration of cats under Los Angeles County Code Sec. 10.24.020.


  • The Alhambra Municipal Code states that it is unlawful for an owner to keep, maintain or harbor a dog that disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood by loud barking.
  • Only two domestic dogs are allowed per household. Dogs may not run around at large (in the neighborhood).
  • To report a noise complaint, contact the Department of Animal Care and Control at 562-940-6898 , or submit a Noise Complaint online

TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.150 Loud Barking
TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.120 Keeping More than Two Dogs Prohibited
TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.158 Dogs Restrained from Running at Large


  • Spay/neuter your dog (this often reduces aggressive tendencies).
  • Never leave infants or young children alone with a dog.
  • Don’t play aggressive games with your dog (e.g., wrestling).
  • Properly socialize and train any dog entering your household.
  • Immediately seek professional advice (e.g., from veterinarians, animal behaviorists, or responsible trainers) if the dog develops aggressive or undesirable behaviors. 

For more information about caring for a dog, as well as dog bites and basic safety tips, review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Home & Recreational Safety webpage about dog bites.

Blue Recycle Bin



The blue container for recyclable items is for disposing glass jars and bottles, plastic jars and bottles, metal and aluminum cans, and all clean paper. View a list of items you can and can't recycle. Do not place clothes in your recycling cart or leave large bags of clothes on the curb as Republic Services will not pick them up. Take them to a charity or Goodwill collection site. (Download a list of items accepted/not accepted by Goodwill).  Local donation centers include:

  • The Salvation Army, 1010 East Main Street, Alhambra, call 626-281-2100 or 1-800-SA-TRUCK
  • Vietnam Veterans of America, call 1-800-775-VETS or 1-800-775-8387
  • Goodwill Pasadena Donation Center, 112 East California Boulevard, Pasadena, call 626-449-3721

95-96 GALLON CONTAINER: 180 lbs; H 46-3/8 x W 25-1/4 x D 26-3/8

65-65 GALLON CONTAINER: 90 lbs; H 42-1/8 x W 25-1/4 x D 26-3/8 

32 GALLON CONTAINER: 50 lbs; H 38-1/2 x W 19 x D 22-1/4

 Permits, Licenses, & Applications

No items found.

More Resources

Animal (Dog) LicenseAnimal (Dog) License

To purchase a new dog license or renew an existing dog license.

No items found.

Subscribe to Receive Meeting Information