People in my neighborhood always make loud noises that disturb people's sleep after midnight. Is there any law that prohibits them from doing so? How do we notify the police?

It is against the law to disturb the peace of another. If someone is making loud noises, especially late at night, you can call the police and we will respond to investigate the source of the disturbance and take the necessary enforcement action. If you call anonymously, the most we can do if we discover the source of the noise, is tell the noisemaker to stop making noise. They may or may not comply. If they don’t, you can call again and we will, again, respond. If the noise is such that it disturbs the peace of another, you can even make a “citizen’s arrest” for this violation. Many times, talking reasonably with the person or person’s causing the noise is the most effective way of solving the problem. If this does not work or is not an option, you can call the police and report the disturbance and we will do our part. Keep in mind that when you get the police involved, most people will comply, but may resent the police involvement and affect your relationship with your noisy neighbor. These types of disturbances are generally caused by a lack of respect for neighbors. It is important to be courteous and not turn these types of situations into personal grudge matches. If the disturbance is a rare occurrence, it may be best to simply let it go. If it is an on-going problem, get the police involved.