If you own a tobacco shop in Alhambra or sell tobacco products in Alhambra, please be aware of changes that will take effect in 2022.
On May 10, 2021, the Alhambra City Council approved an amendment to the Alhambra Municipal Code, adding Chapter 5.90 to establish a Tobacco Retail Licensing Program.
Ordinance No. O2M21-4786 can be viewed online and:
• Establishes a Tobacco Retail License (TRL), TRL fee, and other provisions relating to the sale of tobacco products. All tobacco retailers, wholesalers, distributors, and manufacturers with retail sales within the City must obtain a TRL beginning January 1, 2022. (You can start the application process now).
• Bans the sale of all flavored tobacco products, as defined in the ordinance, throughout the City, beginning July 1, 2022.
In order for retailers to sell tobacco products within City limits effective January 1, 2022:
• Submit proof of a Tobacco Retailer license and Resellers Permit from The California Tax and Fee Administration (required under State law). The TRL application is available online now at: https://www.cityofalhambra.org/576/Tobacco-Retail-License.
• Pay City Business license + fee
• Pay City Tobacco Retailer’s License $300 fee
• Sign the Acknowledgement Addendum
• Obtain or submit a Certificate of Occupancy (administered by Community Development) + fees, applicable to new businesses only.
View a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the Ordinance and learn more by visiting our website or contact the Code Enforcement Division.