Home - Government - Development Services
Development Services
Information, call: 626-570-5034 


  • To determine if your project needs a permit, call 626-570-5034.
  • To request a building inspection, call 626-570-3240. Requests must be made at least one day in advance.
  • Inspectors' office hours are 8 a.m.-9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.-5 p.m.
  • Inspections are conducted from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Schedules will be available after 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Call the Building Division at 626-570-5034 on the day of your inspection to get an indication whether the inspection will occur in the morning or afternoon.


The Building Division provides plan review and construction inspection services to enforce minimum safety standards by regulating and controlling design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, as well as location and maintenance of all buildings and structures. It helps streamline the permit process by providing contractors and homeowners with an easy step-by-step guide for completing the process. On large-scale projects, pre-construction coordination meetings are held with project managers and City staff who play a role in the construction process to
help ensure a smooth running project.



Building plans and permits are required for most residential, commercial, and industrial construction work on private property, whether  new, added, remodeled, or altered. A property owner may apply for a permit, including building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical, as an "owner-builder" if the owner lives on the property. If the owner does not live on the property, the owner is only allowed to apply for a building permit.

Permits are required for the following types of work:

    New structures and room additions, exterior stucco, interior remodeling, roofing, structural repairs, pools and spas; enclosure of a patio, replacement of windows, any structural work.
    Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair electrical wiring.
    Installation, alteration, reconstruction or repair of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment and duct work, and miscellaneous heating appliances.
    Piping, re-piping, new or replacement fixtures and devices, swimming pool equipment, repair or installation of lawn sprinklers.


  • Contractor's Reports are required of any construction company performing work in Alhambra to verify that each subcontractor has a valid business license for the construction period, and that the current amount was paid for the business license tax bracket in which it falls.
  • The Development Services-Building/Planning (626-570-5034) tracks the location of each construction site.
  • The Finance Department (626-570-5021) handles the receipt of the Contractor's Report by the general
    contractor or owner-builder. The report should list all subcontractors hired for a particular construction site.
  • The verification process should be completed within two weeks and the company notified so as not to delay the contractor from finalizing the job.
  • If all subcontractors are licensed and no payment adjustment is needed, Building/Planning is notified. If subcontractors are not licensed or a payment adjustment is needed, the general contractor has the option to instruct the subcontractor to pay or pay for the subcontractors. Building/Planning Division will be notified when all outstanding fees have been paid.
  • The Code Enforcement Division (626-570-3230) works closely with the Business License Division to enforce the Alhambra Municipal Code in determining whether a business has a valid business license and occupancy permit.


  • Section 7031.5 California Business and Professional Code states that only properly licensed individuals or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provisions of the Contractors State License Law shall be allowed to pull a permit for work regulated by code.
  • Owners who obtain construction permits must perform the work in a safe and professional manner, and must provide worker's compensation insurance for relatives and others working on the project even if they are not being paid. Worker's compensation requirements do not apply to the property owners living on the property and immediate family members who also live on the property.


Related information:

Related Link
Copyright ©2018 City of Alhambra
All rights reserved
Home   |   Government   |   Residents   |   Business   |   Community Life   |   About Us   |   Contact Us
Agendas & Minutes   |   News