Standards apply to noise nuisance created by vibration and barking dogs:
- Alarm Systems: The Police Chief may discontinue response by city officers to an alarm after there are more than six false alarm assessments against a specific location in a calendar year. Per California Vehicle Code, Section 22651.5, a police officer may, upon complaint, remove a vehicle if the vehicle theft alarm system has been activated for 20 minutes after the officer’s arrival, and the alarm has not silenced within that time. (TITLE IX: Public Peace & Safety, Chapter 9.74 Alarm Systems)
- Barking Dogs: It is unlawful for an owner to keep, maintain or harbor a dog that disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood by loud barking. Owners may only keep two domestic dogs per household. Dogs may not run around at large in the neighborhood. (TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.150 Loud Barking; TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.120 Keeping More than Two Dogs Prohibited; TITLE XVII: ANIMALS, Chapter 7.20.158 Dogs Restrained from Running at Large)
TIPS TO KEEP DOGS FROM BARKING EXCESSIVELY:
Dogs bark excessively for numerous reasons such as loneliness, frustration, frequent neighborhood activity, hyperactivity, etc. The following suggestions may be helpful in controlling excessive barking:
- Give the dog attention and exercise daily.
- If the dog barks because of frequent neighborhood activity, try to remove the dog from the activity by possibly keeping the dog in the house or garage, or other location isolated from the source of disturbance.
- Dogs frequently bark while left outside alone on the property. If you must leave the dog unattended, keep the dog inside the garage or house whenever possible.
- Consult your veterinarian on the possible causes for the barking.
- Explore training services listed in the Yellow Pages under "Dog Training."
- Try using Citronella Spray as a way to train your dog not to bark. Many vets recommend this type of product because it is not harmful to the dog. Because all dogs hate citrus, the use of this spray, which is harmless and
non-toxic, will help train the dog not to bark.