City of Alhambra
GARAGE SALE POLICY
Code Enforcement, 626-570-3231
A permit is NOT required to hold a garage sale, but only TWO garage sales, not to
exceed two consecutive days, may be conducted in a calendar year by any
one individual, household group, family, or multi-unit property.
GENERAL GARAGE SALE POLICY:
- Garage sale hours are limited to 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- One single-face sign, not larger than 2-feet by 3-feet, may be posted on the premises where a sale is being held for the duration of the sale, and must be removed immediately thereafter.
- No merchandise may be displayed in the public-right-of-way, on front porches, or within the front yard of interior lots, or the front yard and/or side yard of corner lots.
- Never post nails or place signs on trees, utility poles, sign posts, parkway or other city property, or other off-site premises (with the exception of your own vehicle which must be properly parked on the street to advertise your sale). Advertising in a newspaper is a good alternative.
- Violations of garage sale regulations are subject to immediate closure of the sale and a possible misdemeanor criminal complaint filed with the city attorney's office.
- Although no permit is required to hold a garage sale, temporary use permits may be required for other types of sales (such as holding a boutique sale).
GARAGE SALE TIPS:
- Never operate a garage sale by yourself. At least two persons should always be available to watch persons coming onto the premises to browse the items being sold.
- There should only be one designated cashier so buyers can’t claim they paid someone else.
- All transactions should be cash only; never accept personal checks, business checks or payroll checks. Use a locked cash box or a fanny pack and keep only a very limited amount of money on you at any time. If someone wants to break a large bill, such as $100 for a small item, tell them you will be happy to hold the item if they want to go get change.
- Cut down on possible theft by having a 12 to 15-foot buffer zone between the road and your items.
- All entrances into the residence should be securely locked, including backyard gates.
- Never allow anyone to go inside your residence for any reason, including using the bathroom.
- Call the Code Enforcement Division at 626-570-3231, if you have concerns about garage sale regulations.