NEW LICENSES (626-570-5021)
- All businesses and contractors, including rental property owners, operating in the City of Alhambra need a Business License (submitted to Finance Dept.) and an Occupancy Permit (submitted to the Development Services Dept.).
- Once you submit your application, it will be reviewed and assigned a license number.
- The Business License Tax Certificate is issued after all approvals are made (including Occupancy Permit).
LICENSE RENEWAL OF EXISTING BUSINESS LICENSES (626-570-5021)
- Most business licenses are issued annually, to be renewed each year within 30 days of expiration to avoid penalties and interest charges.
- Renewal is through the Finance Department (First floor of City Hall), 111 S. First St., Alhambra, CA 91801.
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR A BUSINESS LICENSE:
- The name of the business or individual
- The physical address/mailing address of the business
- Residential and commercial rentals need to list the locations and unit numbers
- Contact names and phone numbers
- Description of the type of business to be conducted
- Tax identification number (Social Security or Federal ID number)
- Type of business (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation)
- Partnerships must list at least two names with information and signatures of all parties
- Corporations should list major officers
- Contractors must list the state license number and class
- Estimation of gross receipts for the first year of business
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY:
- Occupancy Certificates are needed for all businesses located within city limits, whether in a home or business location. (See Business Occupancy Fee Schedule). Submit appropriate form to Development Services Department - Building and Planning Division; Request is then reviewed, approved or scheduled for inspection.
- A "Home Occupancy" certificate is automatically approved upon receipt, provided that the type of business is permitted to be conducted in the home and does not require an inspection.
- A "Business Occupancy" requires inspections by the Building & Planning Division and Fire personnel.
- The Certificate of Occupancy will be issued once all inspections are completed and approved. An approved occupancy certificate is required before a Business License Tax Certificate can be issued.
WHAT'S NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Signature of the owner/officers on the Business License Application Form, and Home or Business Occupancy Permit Application.
- Any additional forms, if needed according to the business type.
- Take competed application form to the Development Services Department. The representative will give you a receipt form that indicates required fees pertaining to your type of business and whether it is permitted at the
- Take the Receipt Form and Business License application to the Finance Department and pay all applicable
- Business license tax, based on gross receipts and/or type of business;
- Occupancy Permit - $66;
- Assessment District Fee if the business is located within the Assessment District.
(Contact the Finance Department/Business License Division for Assessment District locations);
- Fire Department inspection fee: $101 per hour, with a one-hour minimum; $61 per hour
(with one-hour minimum) for recheck inspections.
- Schedule inspections for any additional items such as occupancy or vehicle inspections.
- Return the validated copy of the Receipt Form to Development Services.
- Call the Building Division at 626-570-3240 when your business is completely set up to request an Occupancy Inspection. The inspection will be conducted the next business day and will be signed off as "inspection complete" or "another inspection needed."
- Request a Fire Department Inspection at the same time you request an Occupancy Inspection by calling 626-570-5181. Leave your name, business name, business address and phone number on the recorder.
- Call the Los Angeles County Health Department, West Covina Office at 626-813-3379 to obtain a Health Department license if your business involves the sale of food or affects the public health or welfare. It must approve your building and equipment plans, and the premises must pass a Health Department Inspection before opening. Inspections usually take place within a few days of receipt of the license application.
- When all inspections are complete, you will receive a Certificate of Occupancy and a Business License in the mail. You are now ready to start your business!