- Upkeep city landscaping and city trees.
- Sweep streets, abate weeds and upkeep public "forest" areas.
- Remove hazardous trees, shrubs and walls that obstruct traffic, and other obstructions to public property and the public right of way.
- Maintain a portion of the landscaping adjacent to the freeway on/off ramps (New, Garfield and Fremont Avenues, and Atlantic Boulevard).
- Maintain safe roads, walkways and bike trails, including 150 miles of streets, 16 miles of alleys, 24,000 streets and 19 downtown parking lots, including maintenance/repair of sidewalks, alleys, bus shelters, curbs, gutters, and pavement markings, removal of graffiti and other hazardous materials.
- Maintain street lighting/traffic signals involving 88 signalized intersections including emergency replacement of poles, controllers and signal heads, as well as 4,500 city-owned street lights and poles.
- Install, paint and maintain over 300 traffic/street signs, paint approximately 40,000 linear feet of traffic striping, and 11,000 traffic control signs, approximately 39,000 linear feet of colored curbing, and install & paint approximately 300 pavement legends per year. Overall, this amounts to the maintenance of 80 line miles of striping, 85,000 square feet of pavement legends, curb markings and 11,000 traffic control signs.
- Build and maintain a solid, secure infrastructure, including maintenance of the city's fleet and equipment.
- Develop plans for the City's future transportation needs.
- Handle administrative and managerial functions related to plan reviews, civil engineering, surveying and inspection services, as well as matters related to illegal dumping on public property.
- Investigate, research and analyze traffic safety problems and traffic flow conditions, and issue permits and inspect projects affecting the public right of way.
- Work with other public agencies, such as the California Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Transit Authority on major transportation planning/transit system issues, as well as the South Coast Air Quality Management District on air quality issues.