REDUCED TRASHED RATES FOR LOW-INCOME RESIDENTS:
- Those who qualify will have their bi-monthly trash bill decreased by $4 bi-monthly (or $2 per month).
- The discount is offered by AWS through its exclusive franchise agreement with the City. The low-income limits are established by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Proof of the income is required of all adults living in the household. A copy of the most recent federal income tax returns (block out Social Security numbers) must be sent along with the City’s application form. For more information, call the City Manager’s office at 626-570-5010.
REDUCED TRASH RATE APPLICATION:
Click here: (English) / (Spanish) / (Chinese)
# of persons in household
(Requires Income Qualification):
Eligible if annual household income is
less than ...
The City of Alhambra and Allied Waste Services (AWS) are partners with Recyclebank.Recyclebank members earn points each time they recycle, leading to discounts on products and services from local and national retailers.
COMPLIANCE WITH STATE RECYCLING REQUIREMENTS:
- Alhambra complies with all state recycling requirements, including legislation that imposes Mandatory Commercial Recycling on all businesses that generate at least four cubic yards of trash per week, and also on all multi-family dwelling that have 5 units and more.
- The City's waste haulers send both commercial and multi-family dwelling solid waste to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) where recyclable items are pulled out of the waste stream and recycled. These facilities are very effective at extracting valuable recyclable items from the waste stream.
- MRF-ing the City’s solid waste has helped increase the City’s diversion rate over what is achieved through our
curbside recycling program. Located in Anaheim, Allied Waste/Consolidated Disposal Services’ MRF processes an average of 4,800 tons of materials daily using automated and manual sorting systems. The MRF has an Eco Center that gives viewers a front-line perspective on what happens to their waste and recyclables. Anyone interested in touring the MRF can call 800-299-4898.
ADDITIONAL RECYCLING RESOURCES/INFORMATION:
- Neighborhood Recycler (Cans & Bottles) - Active Recycling Co., Inc.,5601 E. Valley Blvd., Los Angeles, 90032;
323-221-2555. Website. Open 6:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
- Puente Hills Landfill, 13130 Crossroads Parkway South, City of Industry, CA 91746; 562-699-5204; Website
- Open to the public from 6 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday - Saturday, except holidays (check times for types of loads).
Accepts dirt, green waste, asphalt and asphalt grindings/chips.
- Tire Recycling - Waste tires that are illegally dumped or improperly stored can pose a serious threat to public health and safety, as well as to the environment. To find out more about recycling used tires, click here.
- Material Exchanges - California Materials Exchange (CALMAX) - 1-800-RECYCLE (732-9253). CalMAX
connects businesses, organizations, manufacturers, schools, and individuals with the most effective online
resources for exchanging materials. The website links to services and organizations that provide online options.
- Junk Mail and Phone Books - Call toll-free numbers on catalogs to be removed from their mailing list. Register your mail preferences with the Direct Marketing Association. Call 1-888-567-8688 to opt out of credit card promotional mailings. The Center for a New American Dream's website provides information on how to reduce unwanted mail on its Junk Your Junk Mail webpage. Contact the Yellow Pages Association and the Association of Directory Publishers at www.yellowpagesoptout.com to select which phone directories you receive or to stop delivery of all directories.
- Recycling Paint Products - The California Paint Stewardship Program requires paint manufacturers to develop
a take back system for certain types of leftover paints from household and commercial consumers. PaintCare,
a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, recycles and properly disposes certain types of unused paint products.
For more information about the California Paint Stewardship Program, including a list of products accepted and
not accepted at PaintCare drop-off sites, see PaintCare's Information for Paint Purchasers fact sheet. To find a
paint drop-off site near you, click here. To view PaintCare's Paint Calculator for recommended paint purchase
amounts, click here.