HOW THE HOUSING RIGHTS CENTER CAN ASSIST YOU:
The Housing Rights Center is contracted through the City of Alhambra to provide information on such matters as evictions, security deposits, rent increases, repairs and lease/contract issues. As needed, patrons will receive referrals to other agencies and/or appropriate literature. Additional services include Discrimination Complaint Investigation, Enforcement & Litigation, Predatory Lending Hotline, Outreach & Education, and Advocacy. A free leaflet, available at the library, explains all of the services available through the Housing Rights Center. In California, virtually every unit of housing for rent or sale is covered by Federal, State, and Local laws (which provide for remedies to illegal discrimination including injunctive relief, monetary damages, and penalties) that guard against discrimination based on race l color l sex and sexual harassment l religion l national origin l ancestry l mental or physical disability (HIV & AIDS included) l familial status (children) l marital status l age l sexual orientation l source of Income l student status l arbitrary reasons.
- Counseling on specific housing problems, such as evictions, security deposit disputes, repairs, and other troubling landlord/tenant problems.
- Counseling on matters related to discrimination.
- Housing rights seminars are held the first Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Jackie Robinson Center in Pasadena.
- Residential Placement Assistance - free residential rental vacancy listings are posted each month.
- Informational materials/workshops on housing issues presented to community groups, agencies, local organizations, etc.
If your need is urgent, you may call and speak to a Housing Rights Center representative by calling 800-477-5977.
Or you may visit in person at one of the following locations:
- Pasadena Office: Jackie Robinson Center, 1020 N. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena, CA 91103
Phone: 626-791-0211; Fax: 626-398-8155; Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
- Los Angeles Office: 3255 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1150, Los Angeles, CA 90010
Phone: 213-387-8400; Fax: 213-381-8555; Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)