- Manage a range of human services to help enrich the lives of persons living in our community.
- Administer, manage and implement programs to maintain and beautify our parklands and recreational facilities, as well as leisure service programs (published in the Leisure Activities Guide), representing a variety of interests, ages, cultures and abilities.
- Coordinate community special events, civic and cultural programs, comprehensive senior programs (mainly through Joslyn Center), weekly farmer's market, community garden, senior transportation services, and volunteer services.
- Works with the Parks and Recreation Commission to oversee the management and use of City's parklands and recreational facilities, and a wide variety of community events and programs coordinated by department staff. Meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at Joslyn Center (Alhambra Room), 210 N. Chapel Ave., Alhambra.
- Works with the Youth Commission, which provides input on issues related to youth and young adults in the community. Meets the second Tuesday of each month at Joslyn Center.