One of the Division's completed projects is the state-of-the-art Groundwater Treatment Plant, located at 512 S. Granada Ave., Alhambra (adjacent to the Community Gardens.
FACTS ABOUT THE GROUNDWATER TREATMENT FACILITY:
- The Alhambra Groundwater Treatment Plant, which opened in 2008 at a cost of $13.8 million, has the capacity to treat up to 7,000 gallons of water per minute.
- Alhambra's well water is treated using advanced state-of-the-art technology, specifically a process of ion exchange and liquid phase granular activated carbon technology to remove any volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and nitrates from the water supply.
- The plant also enables the City to reclaim water from two currently inactive wells, reducing Alhambra’s dependency on external water sources.
- Construction involved connecting pipelines from the treatment facility to each of the well sites, installation of a brine line for disposal of waste products collected during the nitrate remediation process, and the rehabilitation of Well No. 12 – including a new building, pump repair and upgrade of the motor control center.
- The project was completed with the assistance of two water partners: the San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District, whose board provided $3.9 million in grant and no-interest loan funds; and the San Gabriel Basin Water Quality Authority, which provided a grant of $1.4 million for construction, and $700,000 for first-year operations and maintenance costs.
- The Groundwater Treatment facility enables the City of Alhambra to maintain an exceptional record of meeting or exceeding all state and federal water quality standards.
- Project contractors were: Colich & Sons, a construction contractor specializing in pipeline projects, and Pacific Hydrotech Company, which constructed the treatment plant facilities portion of the project.
- CIVILTEC Engineering performed design engineering, construction management and inspection services.
View Photos of the Groundwater Treatment Plant & Dedication Ceremony
"New Treatment plant Gets WQA's Seal of Approval" Think Environment Week -
L.A. Newspaper Group, Sept. 2008)
"Alhambra Officials Open New Water Treatment Plant," article published by the L.A. Newspaper Group, October 2, 2008