FREQUENTLY-ASKED PARK-RELATED QUESTIONS
- Who do I contact for information on Alhambra Leisure Classes?
A: You should contact the Community Programs Division at 626-570-3242.
- Do I have to be an Alhambra resident to participate in Alhambra Leisure Classes?
- Can we register online?
A: Yes, online registration is available. Phone-in, walk-in and mail-in registration is also possible.
- Is there a multiple child discount?
A: In some instances a discount is available. Check the Leisure Guide for specific details.
- Who can I contact for information on Senior Services?
A: You should contact the Senior Services Division at 626-570-5056.
- How can I get information about Little League or AYSO?
A: The City of Alhambra does not operate the Little League or AYSO programs.
For current information about these programs, contact the Recreation Division at 626-570-5081.
- What are park hours?
A: Park hours are 5:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- How can I reserve a picnic shelter?
A: All reservations for park facilities, including picnic shelters, are made at the Community Services Department
at City Hall, 111 S. First St., Alhambra 91801. Reservations must be made in person during weekday business hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. For information about fees, call 626-570-5044.
- When should I reserve a picnic shelter?
A: Reservations can be made a MAXIMUM of 3 months ahead of your gathering and a MINIMUM of
10 business days PRIOR to the date of interest. WITHIN 10 business days of a specific date, any picnic areas
that have not been reserved will become available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Do I have to pay for a "first-come, first-serve" picnic area?
A: No. There is no fee. However, the area is not guaranteed to be available for your date of interest or time
of arrival. If you are the first person to arrive you must remain in the area until your party begins. You are
not allowed to rope off the area or put up your own reservation signs.
- What is the reservation time line?
A: Reservations are from 10 a.m. to sunset (dark); however, the party is welcome to remain in the area until
the park closes at 10:30 p.m. If the party arrives earlier than 10 a.m., the area may not be cleaned yet since
the parks crew works on a set schedule.
- Can I drive my car on park property to unload my party supplies?
A: No. For safety reasons, a City Ordinance prohibits the use of vehicles on park property -
AMC 14.04.030 (G). Service ways are only for the use of city and emergency vehicles.
- Can I rent a softball field for a birthday party?
A: No. Softball fields are not available for private rentals. The small softball field at Story Park may be used
on a first-come, first-serve basis when not in use by the Little League or City of Alhambra.
- Can I bring an easy-up to the park?
A: Yes, as long as it is not staked into the ground or fixed to any part of the picnic area or park.
- Can I bring a radio to the park?
A: A small, battery-operated boom box is acceptable but the use of amplified sound or a DJ is prohibited.
There are no public outlets and the use of generators is not allowed.
- Are food trucks or carts allowed?
A: No. The use of propane or generators is not allowed in the parks. Vehicle access in the park is also
not permitted. A cart, truck, or other vehicle, such as In-and-Out, Tommy's, etc., must be parked on the street
at the curb, and an Encroachment Permit must be obtained from the Public Works Department prior to your event.
- Can people use the flat area of Alhambra Park to play soccer/football?
A: No. Alhambra Park is designated as a passive park and is intended for passive activities unless otherwise
stated (for example: swimming, tennis, basketball, volleyball in designated areas only).
- Can I bring alcohol to the park?
- Can I bring my dog to the park? Can I walk my dog when I'm using the jogging trail at Almansor Park?
A: No. Alhambra's Municipal Code prohibits dogs in any of the parks in Alhambra. This is for the health and safety of the patrons of the park.
- How can I get a space at the Community Garden?
A: Call 626-570-3242 - or visit the Community Programs office, 500 N. Palm Ave., located within Alhambra
Park. If a space is available, you will be immediately assigned a space. If there is no space available,
you will be placed on a waiting list. Alhambra residents have priority status on the waiting list. Spaces vary
in size and fee. Alhambra residents must bring a photo I.D. and a recent utility bill to verify residency in
order to qualify for resident rates.
- Can I volunteer or complete my Community Service requirements through Parks and Recreation?
A: Volunteers from service organizations are sometimes accepted for volunteer work at special events.
Volunteers 60+ years of age are eligible to volunteer at the Joslyn Adult Center. Court-required community
service work cannot be completed within the Community Services Department.
- Can I register my child for swim lessons once the session has started?
A: No. We do not take registrations for sessions that have already begun. Staff is assigned based on
the number of students in the class. Also, lessons are progressive. Each day builds upon the information
learned in the previous lesson. It is better for the child to register for the following lesson session.
- Why are parents only allowed to take photos on the first and last day of swim lessons?
A: This rule is intended to protect the privacy of parents who may not want photographs of their child taken.
- Why aren't goggles allowed to be used during recreational swims?
A: This is a safety issue. If a child is wearing goggles and gets kicked or hit by an arm or leg, the goggles
can damage the eye area of the child.