ARE YOU READY?
A 2008 study forecast a 99.7% chance of an earthquake the size of the Northridge Earthquake or larger anytime during the next 30 years. Are we ready for such of occurrence; ARE YOU READY?
The Great California ShakeOut organization has taken a leadership role in preparing Californians for the next major earthquake by organizing an annual event – the “ShakeOut Drill” – that not only reminds residents of the impending danger, but also provides guidance to our preparation for and survival from the effects of a major shake.
The ShakeOut Drill occurs on the third Thursday ofor October each year – this year, it’s October 15 – and it is recommended that at 10:15 a.m., wherever you are at that moment – at home, at work, at school, anywhere – you should Drop, Cover, and Hold On as if there were a major earthquake occurring at that very moment, and stay in that position for at least 60 seconds. The drill is a reminder that, for our survival, each person must learn what to do before, during, and after an earthquake.
The Earthquake Country Alliance has adopted “Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety,” simple steps that everyone should do before an earthquake:
- secure your space by identifying hazards and securing moveable items;
- plan to be safe by creating a disaster plan and deciding how you will communicate in an emergency;
- organize disaster supplies in convenient locations;
- minimize financial hardship by organizing important documents, strengthening your property, and considering insurance.
During and after the next big earthquake, experts advise to:
- Drop, Cover, and Hold on when the earth shakes;
- Improve Safety after earthquakes by evacuating if necessary, helping the injured, and preventing further injuries of damage;
- Reconnect and Restore. Restore daily life by reconnecting with others, repairing damage, and rebuilding community.
It’s easy to slip into forgetfulness as the memory of the damage and heartache that prevailed in past major earthquakes gets lost in the tasks of daily living, but thanks to organizations such as The Great California ShakeOut and the Earthquake Country Alliance, we are reminded of the inevitability of a major California quake occurring in the next few years and the steps that can help ameliorate the resulting damage.
On Thursday, October 15 at 10:15 a.m., the entire Alhambra community is urged to remember to Drop, Cover, and Hold, and to consult the following websites to better prepare for the next actual shake:
. . The Great California ShakeOut – http://www.shakeout.org/california/faq/
. . The Earthquake Country Alliance – http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/seven_steps.html.